Saturday, October 01, 2011

1978 Albums

The relistening club has turned to 1978. I'm not going to write about the albums individually because (a) I don't have time and (b) I was much too hard on John Hiatt the last time. I'm simply going to list them in rough descending order. I like and would recommend all these albums, even the hard-to-listen-to ones. The order shouldn't be taken terribly seriously. A more systematic approach would probably yield a different order. I just don't have that kind of time. I also know that this list could be three time as long. I also want to recommend Orchestra Baobab's 1978 Paris Sessions, which comprise one of my favorite albums On Verra Ca.

The List:


Wire - Pink Flag
Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool
The Clash - Give 'Em Enough Rope
Joe Ely - Honky Tonk Masquerade
X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents
Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
The Rolling Stones - Some Girls
Tom Robinson Band - Power in the Darkness
Big Star - Third
Mary McCaslin & Jim Ringer - The Bramble and the Rose
Willie Nelson - Stardust
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
Television - Adventure
Dave Edmunds - Tracks on Wax 4
Elvis Costello - This Years Model
Lee Dorsey - Night People
Ramones - Road to Ruin
Shoes - Black Vinyl Shoes
The Vibrators - Pure Mania
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Professor Longhair - Live on the Queen Mary
Ian Dury - New Boots & Panties
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
Patti Smith Group - Easter
Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove
Rodney Crowell - Ain't Living Long Like This
Wire - Chairs Missing
Neil Young - Comes a Time
The Cars - The Cars