Thursday, October 13, 2011

Musical Rankings

Slate recently ran an article claiming the first Strokes was the best album of the last ten years and was very influential. I'm not linking to the article. The whole point of the article was to stir controversy among those who care about such things. I care in that there's no way I'll have lunch with the person who wrote the article, but I don't care what the best album of the last ten years is. Really. I'm not a music critic. I write about music here because I need the practice writing and music is a handy topic.

I participate in the ranking games at the Christgau blog because they're fun. The latest is jazz albums recorded in sixties and the rules can be found here: http://ewjazzpoll.tumblr.com. I don't know how I'm going to narrow down my choices to ten and not look like an idiot. If I have an excellent amateur's knowledge of pop music, I only have a passable amateur's knowledge of jazz. Which isn't to say that I don't have favorite albums. This is a game where the idea is to have fun. And I could use some fun these days.