Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Jazz in the Sixties, Part One

I've been thinking about jazz albums and the sixties. Take the case of Duke Ellington. I'm familiar with 5 albums of his from the decade, which is only a fraction of his output. Any of those 5 albums is a worthy choice for any list. There's his session with John Coltrane, which really isn't either of their best work but is quite enjoyable. The same goes for his sessions with Louis Armstrong and Coleman Hawkins, although I hear the weight of history in both of those. Seriously - the weight of history. However, I'm personally a bigger fan of the Duke's encounter with Charles Mingus and Max Roach - Money Jungle - because while Mingus may have idolized Ellington Mingus wasn't above pushing his idol. And then there's Ellington's tribute to Billy Strayhorn: "And His Mother Called Him Bill". It's an album that's resonated through the last forty five years. I don't think I can choose more than one of these...