Thursday, May 02, 2013

What's French For Lazy?

A little dusty in here, don't you think? When in doubt, let's talk about Spam.

So I get a message informing me of a workshop in Montreal to "Reussir son role d'assistant(e), ressources-humaines". Not much use to me in Manitoba. At some point I got on the French business spam list, and once you're on the list, there's no escape. There is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the message, and I dutifully click on that. The page it takes me to asks why I want to leave the list. I say, as I always do, "I never subscribed". It won't actually get me off the list, because each mail out has its own list. I get a confirmation email saying "We are sorry that you decided to opt-out." As if care they're sorry. Whatever.

The interesting part is that the unsubscribe web page and the follow-up email are all in English. I guess there's no French spam infrastructure or its just too much of a hassle to change the default messages on the software from English. Why anyone goes to their workshops, even Montrealers, is beyond me.