Tuesday, July 09, 2013

I'm Not In An Allowing Mood

Just when I think I've seen the worst pitch for services, there's this:

Dear Ms. Hurst, My Name is Xxxxxx Yyyyyyy, I’m the Director of Sales - North America for Zzzzz Group. a provider of electronic information resources that focuses on the distribution of databases, online publications, standards and books in electronic format (eBooks). The company headquartered in Somecity, Somestate, USA was founded in 2005 and has several offices in Latin America. Zzzzzz Group represents over 30+ leading scientific publishers in over 25 countries. 

I would  like to discuss with you any  means of cooperation with the publishers that we represent. In short I’m looking for an alliance with your consortia as we have a very attractive consortia price structure. 

I would be happy to set up a meeting at your convenience at your headquarters to discuss this cooperation in more details if you can allow me. 

I have attached a sheet with some of the publishers and organizations that we represent. 

Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you soon.

I don't mind that I've been assigned the wrong gender. Chris is ambiguous. What I do mind is that a director of sales can't be bothered to proofread a message before sending it out. Read the third paragraph. "Details" should be "detail". "Can allow me" should "wish". "Headquarters" should be "office". Try: "I'd be happy to set up a meeting at your office at your convenience to discuss this further". I can only assume that English is a second language which makes proofreading by a native English speaker that much more important. I hear they have a few of those in the United States.

Anyway, it's obviously an "I'm doing this because someone is making me do this" e-mail. I should be glad it's not a cold call.